Quality healthcare with a personal touch.
Southern Coos Hospital and Health Center will improve the health and viability of the community by working to be the best place for patients to receive care, for employees to work, and for providers to practice medicine.
• Compassion: we care deeply, are active listeners, practice empathy, and welcome all who walk through our doors as family.
• Patient-Centered Care: our care is respectful and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs, and values.
• Teamwork: we ask for help when we need it and accept support from one another. Our dedication to quality patient care is measured in the times we come together to make a difference for our patients, peers, and stakeholders.
• Community: we are empowered to volunteer our time and resources to inspire a culture of collaboration with patients, community partners, and stakeholders.
• Professionalism: we have respect for self and for others. We practice open and honest communication built on a foundation of trust.
• Integrity: we keep our commitments and are accountable for our behavior. We demonstrate humility and accept forgiveness.
History of Southern Coos Hospital & Health Center
Southern Coos Hospital and Health Center is a small, rural hospital owned and operated by the Southern Coos Health District and located in Bandon, Oregon. Currently licensed for 21 beds, the hospital was granted Critical Access Hospital status in November of 2000 while maintaining its designation as a full-service, general acute hospital.
The Southern Coos Health District is a municipal corporation organized under Oregon Statute and was originally formed in 1955 by public vote. The District has provided hospital services as a part of its healthcare offerings since 1960. The current hospital was constructed in 1999 and opened its doors for service in December of that year. Since that time, service volumes have grown tremendously. The hospital nursing services include a four-station emergency department, surgical services, endoscopic services, an outpatient department, and a swing-bed program. These are supported by a full-service laboratory; a respiratory therapy department; medical imaging services including CT, ultrasound, general radiography and a certified mammography program. Rehabilitation services are contracted. Together, these programs provide a comprehensive range of diagnostic and therapeutic programs which are not always found in similar hospitals.
The hospital serves Southern Coos County and Northern Curry County. This primary service area is populated by about 10,000 residents who increasingly look to Southern Coos Hospital and Health Center for their healthcare. The local community presently has three primary physician practices. The hospital augments these practices through Outpatient Services, Inpatient Care, and a specialty clinic located adjacent to the hospital.